The FMCSA Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse is a secure, online database that will give employers and other authorized users real-time information about commercial driver’s license (CDL) and commercial learner’s permit (CLP) holders’ drug and alcohol program violations.
The Clearinghouse will improve safety on our Nation’s roadways by giving employers access to information they need to make informed safety decisions about when current or prospective drivers with drug and alcohol violations can safely resume safety-sensitive functions after completing the required return-to-duty (RTD) process.
Substance Abuse Professionals (SAPs) be ready for driver requests.
Once you are registered, you can take the following actions in the Clearinghouse prior to implementation:
- Self-certify your qualifications. During registration, Substance Abuse Professionals (SAPs) must self-certify they have the credentials and basic knowledge required by § 40.281.
- Invite Assistants. Send invitations to other employees who will report information in the Clearinghouse on your behalf, allowing them to register as part of your company.
- Be ready for driver requests. Before you can enter information about a driver’s RTD activities in the Clearinghouse, the driver you are working with must identify you as his or her SAP, and send you a request to designate you as his or her SAP in the Clearinghouse. You will need to be registered in the Clearinghouse before the driver can send you this request.
Beginning January 6, 2020, SAPs will be required to report the following information in the Clearinghouse:
1) Date the driver’s initial assessment is completed, by the close of the business day following the assessment.
2) Date you determine the driver is eligible for RTD testing, by the close of this business day following the determination.
- You will not upload any documentation, including driver follow-up testing plans, to the Clearinghouse.
- Clearinghouse for SAPs